Monday, November 16, 2009

The Future of Journalism

When I read the article The Future (we hope) of Journalism, I have to admit I was a little nervous. Everyone has heard talk of newspaper reporters being let off because the new media is putting old fashioned print journalism on the back burner. But it was very encouraging to hear that The Herald Leader has about the same amount of employees it had in 1991. This is a huge relief because in college I want to major in journalism and I would like to be a print journalist after I graduate. I hope that what the article referred to as the old media is still in print and thriving. I think it would be interesting to do a blog full time or write for an online newspaper or magazine, but preferably I would like to write for an actual printed newspaper. Since this man is a news editor, his opinion was really nice to hear. He mentioned that many people want to get into journalism because of curiosity. I am one of those people. I would like to investigate stories and write about really interesting things and people. I would love to break a huge story that changes everything, like the reporters who broke the Watergate scandal.

The writer who wrote this article does seem to be enthuiastic about the future of journalism. I'm just hoping that print newspapers do not go completely out of style. Luckily, people will always need to know what goes on in the world so some form of media will always be in place. Otherwise, we'd have a nation full of completely uninformed people instead of just a semi uninformed population. And even though they weren't mentioned in this article, I think magazine are another important aspect of the media. The sell quite well and people will always have an insatiable curiosity about the lifestyle of the rich and famous, plus they want to read up on the most current fashion trends. I don't think this form of media will suffer any time soon because the general population will always want to be entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment